Tuesday, January 20, 2009

2 gems from SmugMug

I think smugmug is an organization worth emulating. They do what they do with 40 employees, and were far smaller for most of their existence. If you haven't yet, read about their deployment on ec2: simple, well-designed, and nearly fully-automated:
http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2008/06/03/skynet-lives-aka-ec2-smugmug/

Also here are some pointers from them on mysql; the recommendation on Percona is something we should keep in mind should we need to call in some db expertise.

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2008/12/23/great-things-afoot-in-the-mysql-community/

--
Love,
Fritz

1 comment:

  1. When I saw your post, I thought you meant "ruby gems" from smugmug, and thought, "what gems could smugmug have possibly have released that Fritz would be interested in?"

    I'd read the first post a while back, and actually kept it in mind a bit back in August when first sketching how our little worms would run and scale with volume levels. The second post I hadn't seen, but I'm glad you posted. I wholeheartedly agree with much of the sentiment (e.g., InnoDB progress and the like being somewhat akin to a cold droplet of molasses running down the side of a freezer), and I'm very intrigued by XtraDB and Percona. Worth keeping an eye on.

    ReplyDelete