Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Password lengths, MSN, and MSN Messenger/Passport

I was receiving this error logging in through openfire's MSN legacy network adapter to an MSN handle.

2009-03-17 07:52:13 UTC ERROR [13095/-611309268] aardvarkec2deve:
Client manager: XMPP Message Error on myhandle@live.com
at msn: () FROM: msn.myserver.com -> TO:
myhandle@myserver.com: The password
you registered with is incorrect. Please re-register with the correct
password.

I'd verified that the password worked by logging in at live.com, so I kept hitting my head against a wall. Finally I tried connecting via an adium client directly to the MSN *messenger* network, which logs in through Microsoft Passport authentication servers. Failure. Finally! Something to work with!

Microsoft appears to have two different maximum lengths on passwords used. When you create a user, you can apparently type however many characters you want into your password (good). However, Microsoft's Password service, which is what authentication of IM users goes through, apparently limits the number of characters you can use (I didn't count what the exact limit was). Once I went in and changed our password to be *shorter* everything worked fine.

So, logging into live.com is not a good test for logging into MSN messenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment